Last Updated: Wednesday, 1 April 2015
7 Story/Article & 13 Greeting Card Markets
This page contains Pro, Semipro, Pay, Token paying markets that accept humorous fiction, nonfiction, poetry, or other forms, that do not include fiction written by the publisher(s), editor(s), or staff. Read the complete guidelines carefully before submitting. Try to read at least one issue to get a feel for what is wanted. If in doubt contact the editor. US ($), UK (£), or EU (€) currency are used unless otherwise noted. Addresses are US unless noted otherwise.
All Token paying market listings are listed as a courtesy and therefore subject to instant removal if they do not inform me of any change in their guidelines that affects the listing at Ralan.com. Any change, no exceptions. No re-listing will be possible.
These listings are provided in good faith with the belief the info is correct, but Ralan.com accepts no responsibility for any errors or omissions in them. The fact that an entry is listed here is no guarantee that said entity will ever publish anything. Contact with any editor or publisher is at the contributor's own risk. Ralan.com encourages all potential contributors to do a web search of the editor's and/or publisher's name before submitting to them. Each visitor assumes all risk associated with the use or misuse of the information here.
Please note that all e-mail addresses (printed in italics) on this page are protected to avoid abuse by spammers.
- THE LISTINGS -
Click on Publication Title for Full Guidelines
Click on E-subs: LINE for Submission Details
The editor's e-mail link is for Info/Queries only if marked (Q),
... and the E-subs address(es) will found in the guidelines.
The e-address is for Info/Queries & E-subs if marked (QS)
- ANDROMEDA SPACEWAYS INFLIGHT MAGAZINE (ASIM) - quarterly print; sf/f/h, keyword: fun (fic/nonfic/poem/art). Pay: 1.25AU¢/word (AU$20 min.), AU$10 for poetry & Flash. Words: <10k (<20k for subscribers & Aus/NZ writers). RT: <7 months. Reprints: query. E-subs: ONLY. (Q). [Top]
- DEFENESTRATION - triannual (nonfic year-round) webzine; humor, any genre (fic/nonfic/poem/art/comics/flash video). Pay: exposure. Words: <4k (nonfic=2k). RT: <1 week. Reprints: yes. E-subs: ONLY. (QS). [Top]
Fiction/Poem Reading Periods: 20Dec-5Apr; 20Apr-5Aug; 20Aug-5Dec Deadline: 1st Issue Debut:
- FUNNY TIMES - monthly print; all topics (fic/cartoons). Pay: fic=$60, cartoons=$25-$40. Words: 500-700. RT: <several months. E-subs: NONE. (QS). [Top]
- GAMES - 10x per year print, articles/reviews/humor/games (nonfic). Pay: $500-$1000 (buys all rights!). Words: 2k-2.5k. RT: 6-8 weeks. E-subs: YES. (QS) [Top]
- GARBAJ - e-mail/snailmail humor zine. Pay: exposure. Words: <500. RT: <6 weeks. Reprints: yes. E-subs: YES. (QS). [Top]
- MAD MAGAZINE - monthly print; mad humor. Pay: pro. Words: no word limits named. RT: NO REPLY: assume reject after 30 days. E-subs: ON SITE FORM ONLY. MAD Submissions Editor (Q). [Top]
- WILD VIOLET - weekly literary webzine (fic/nonfic/poem/art/photo/cartoons). Pay: exposure. Words: fic/poem=no limits; essays=<3k. RT: <several months. Reprints: seldom. E-subs: YES. (QS). [Top]
—GREETING CARDS —! ! ! Remember: if not given here, always ask for guidelines before submitting ! ! !
Hint: Card companies work about six months in advance. For seasonal cards think that far ahead.
- BLUE MOUNTAIN ARTS PAPER CARD/SPS STUDIOS
Actively seeking freelancers; Pay: card=$300; poem in anthology=$50; GLs send on request via e-mail (see below for address)
Range of cards: Family, friends, occasions, inspiration, encouragement.
Style of cards: Sentimental and conversational; a few lines to two and a half pages. No humor or one-liners, please.
Postal and e-mail submissions welcome. Format for submission: Postal: typewritten, one poem per page, name on each page; e-mail: type work in the body of the e-mail, we won't accept attachments or website links. In either case, please include mailing address and phone number. Submit any number of poems at a time.
Tel: (303) 417-6513
- Editorial Department
- P.O. Box 1007
- Boulder, CO 80306
Fax: (303) 447-0939
Peter D. Diebold
P.O. Box 236, 66 High Bridge Rd.
Lyme, NH 03768 USA
- COMSTOCK CARDS
600 S. Rock, Suite 15
Reno, NV 89502-4115 USA
Pays $50-75 per card idea
- DCI STUDIOS
Kansas City, MO 64111 USA
Send 25-50 ideas per batch
- DESIGN DESIGN INC.
P.O. Box 2266
Grand Rapids, MI 49501-2266 USA
Send 12 ideas per batch
- DESIGNER GREETINGS
Broad range of cards
Writers send submissions with SASE to:
Telephone: 732-662-6700 or (800) 654-6960
- Attn: Editorial Dept.
- 11 Executive Avenue
- Edison, New Jersey 08817
Fax: (866) 981-0151
- FREEDOM GREETING CARD CO.
Actively seeking freelancers; pay unknown; GLs on web site.
Broad range of cards.
Send submissions (with SASE) to:
Web Site Guidelines
- Freedom Greeting Card Co.
- Attn: Art Department
- 774 American Drive
- Bensalem, PA 19020
- HALLMARK - CRWEB
Creative Staffing and Development
2501 McGee, MD 444
Kansas City, MO 64108
Currently using little freelance work
- MARIAN HEATH GREETING CARDS, INC.
Art Department Submissions
9 Kendrick Road
Wareham MA 02571
Occasionally purchases editorial and will consider unsolicited verse submissions appropriate for Everyday and seasonal card occasions. Publishes a diverse line of cards with sentiments that include traditional, inspirational, conversational, whimsical, and humorous.
- MOONLIGHTING CARDS
Contests & e-mail submissions
Web Site Guidelines
- OATMEAL STUDIOS
Postal submissions welcome: mainly wants short, non-rhyming humor prose; send one 3x5 card with verse/sentiment, name, and address (samples in GLs) per idea to:
Actively seeking freelancers — pays $75 per idea — GLs on website
- Oatmeal Studios
- P.O. Box 138WP
- Rochester, VT 05767 USA
- Attn: Editorial Dept.
(questions, info, & e-mail submissions — query first for format!
- VAGABOND CREATIONS, INC.
George F. Stanley, Jr.
2560 Lance Dr.
Dayton, OH 45409 USA
tel: (937) 298-1124
Pays $15-$25 per idea
- WARNER PRESS, PUBLISHERS
Or by postal mail to:
Karen Rhodes, Senior Editor
Warner Press, Inc.
1201 East Fifth Street
Anderson, Indiana 46012, USA
Religious, inspirational - pays $20-$35 per idea.